Monday, August 9, 2010

Interview with Julie Kagawa, Author of the Iron Fey Series


I understand that the Iron Fey will be a trilogy. What can we expect to see from you after that?
After The Iron Fey comes to an end, I’ll be working on a new series with a new paranormal creature. Think: vampires. J

Where did you get the idea for this series?
If we’re being quite literal, while I was walking around Borders, trying to think up ideas for a new story. ^__^ But the Iron Fey stemmed from the question: “what are the fey afraid of?” The answer, in most myth and legends, was iron, so what if there was a creature born from the very thing that could kill them? And then I remembered we already have “monsters” in machines, gremlins and bugs and viruses, and from that thought the Iron Fey were born.

Are any of the characters or events in the Iron Fey or Iron Daughter based on people that you’ve known or things that have happened?

Well, not exactly. Meghan is a little like me in the fact that we were both loners and outcasts in high school. Truth be told, most of the Iron King characters come from bits and pieces of books, anime, and video games I’ve loved over the years. For example, Ash is a mix of Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing), Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy 8), and Tamahome (Fushigi Yugi). And Machina the Iron King is a straight up Sephirtoh.


Are you interested in writing outside of YA genre?
Not at the moment. I’m having too much fun writing for YA. I did try to publish an adult novel before I wrote Iron King, but that went nowhere and I like the YA genre better. For now, I’m quite content where I am.

If you were forced to evacuate your home with only two possessions what would you take?
Ooh, that’s tough. Assuming that my hubby and all my pets got out safely, I’d take my laptop (with all my writing), and my katana for protection (especially if it was a zombie apocalypse).

Also, I'm passing on the Versatile Blogger Award to Jen. Check back Wed. and find the advice Julie gives to unpublished writers. I'll be posting the review of The Iron Daughter this week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment